Your Ad Here

Friday, February 11, 2011

Crazy World: Girl Arrested For 'Stealing' Food Thrown Outside By Tesco

A girl was arrested after she found and took home food, thrown out by a Tesco food store worth £200 following a power cut. Tesco, supermarket giant in UK thrown thousands of pounds of spoiled stock and left it out in the street.

Sasha Hall, 21, from Great Baddow found herself potato waffles, pies and ham from outside the Tesco Express in Great Baddow, Essex. But she was shocked to see police at her home to arreste her for suspected 'theft by finding' and took her to the police station in handcuffs.

'There was £3,000 worth of food going to waste on the street,' said Sasha. 'It had been thrown out, so I thought I could put it to better use. 'When the police came round I was so upset. I felt like a terrible criminal.'
She added further : 'I would think the police have better things to be doing with their time than going after people who pick up potato waffles from the street. It's all been blown totally out of proportion. I thought I could help feed me and my family for a week or two.'

'They knocked at the door and said if I didn't open up they would use a battering ram,' she said. 'They handcuffed me and treated me like I was a hardened criminal and when we left they raided my house. I only make £600 a month. I'm on the brink of getting kicked out of my flat because I can't pay my arrears.'

Hall, who works part-time at a supermarket in Chelmsford, is to appear in magistrates court on February 16 charged with 'theft by finding'.

Wow. Isn't this crazy? I mean if you could be charged for the food you found on the street in India, so many people will land in jail! We have so many poor people who spend their lives eating food thrown outside by people and food outlets.


Find Me On...