Your Ad Here

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Why I Won't Buy a Western Digital Product Again


I wanted a post regarding my Western Digital experience since long but couldn't make it for some reasons. Now that I've finally got time, let me begin.

Some months ago, I bought Western Digital internal Hard Drive - Cavier Blue - 500 GB SATA from a local store. Not even after a month of using it, it started crashing and one day it was 'Dead'. I called the dealer and he told me to give the HD to him for replacement from WD.

He sent the HD for replacement and after about 20 days, I got the replacement. I was impressed somewhat but, what I received was - Cavier Green 500 GB HD. Different product eh? The dealer was like "Its OK. We wanted a replacement, we got it, what more?" I was quite OK with that too and took it home, installed it, and whoa! It was making strange noise and it didn't even work even once. Wow. A what a replacement. I called the WD costumer care and they assured me that they will replace the product surely.

After two days, a courier person came and collected the defective HD. The costumer care girl told me that I will be receiving the replacement in 5-7 working days. OK no problem I said! The girl was also behaving strange! She gave me RMA No. which was not complete. But how would I know that?! I repeated the RMA and she said yes, thats right. So I said OK. After sometime, I doubted the RMA and called WD again, gave Serial No and asked her to confirm the RMA. I was right. The RMA was incomplete. She gave me the complete RMA. And I was impressed again -P. After some hours I visited the WD website and checked for my RMA details. The idiot girl wrote my name wrongly and my e-mail ID wrongly. I told my name and e-mail ID with spelling and repeated it but she didn't want my name to be wrote right I think. Strange.

I Sent the product and started waiting for the replacement. Tick Tock. Tick Tock. Days started passing. After two weeks, I called WD again. After the annoying recorded message (each time I called), I got to talk with a guy and he told me that they were "out of stock" and will send the replacement as soon as possible. I was like Okay..! I will wait.

But hey, my wait was not getting over. After a week I called them again and they gave me the same answer. I said "I'll wait". After some days, After getting annoyed, I called again and they told me that the HD is already been dispatched and I would be receiving it soon. So wait for two days. I was happy that finally they sent it! But hey! I didn't receive it. Again, I called them and again the same answer. When asked about docket no. of courier, he was like sorry, I don't have it. Argh No! Now, I e-mailed WD and reply came like "Sorry for inconvenience. We will send you HD soon." Okay Okay.

Some more days passed. I was really pissed off now and e-mailed them again. Answer now was "We have forwarded your complaint to concerned department (logistic department)." After wait of some more days, I thought I should now file a law-suit against the 'world's 2nd largest HD manufacturer' - Western Digital. That was the only way to get the answer. I e-mailed them for the third and last time mentioning I was going to file a case if I don't receive the replacement in a few day.
Advertisement
After one and a half day, a parcel came and hey. It was the replacement HD. I opened it, And guess what I got. No it was not a bikini or something by fault LOL. It was the HD but it was a 640 GB Cavier Green HD. "What the hell!" I said. 640 GB HD in replacement of 500 GB HD? And no, I was not angry, I was happy. Because I think I deserved it after waiting for at least two months for replacement, wasting my time, getting mentally 'tortured'(torture? yes I think) by that annoying recorded lady voice for five minutes each time I called them, and getting loss of my work for at least two months. Yes I deserve that. I was happy. But I doubted it because of last experience of defected replacement.

I installed the HD and ah! it worked. At the moment its working. But I don't know how many days it will work. I am afraid of putting my data in this HD fearing loss again. I agree that not all products can be defected and millions of people are using them world-wide, but an image is embedded in my mind and I can't erase it. Not only I faced this problem, I have many people with same problem. When searched the web for this, I got many people shouting at WD for not sending them replacement and creepy costumer service. Many people complained me about their WD HD crashed.

Examples:
I baught a 320GB USB hard drive on 26 June when i checked the drive to home it was not working, than i call 18002005789 service centre he noted my complaint and said that his person will reach in 24 hrs, but he had't come till date, when i call customer care he picked phone and said tomarrow will picked the drive but not responed, next day again i did a call 2 times some one picked phone and hold me 10 to 20 min and after that cut the phone.

my 320 GB Hard Disk serial no is WX**********
Complaint No. is 82******

Please do the need full

Found Here

Sir, My name is naresh kumar.My phone no. is 9999566358. My hard disk is not working which is under warranty period. My R.M.A. No. is 81976384. When i contacted them I did not get satisfactory response. I am requesting them for a long time to replace my hard disk. But nobody is coming to pick up my hard drive. In this situation. I can only trust you. I hope you will do your best. Regards Naresh

Found Here

Sir, My name is Naresh. I have western digital hard drive. It is not working properly. I made complaint many time to western digital . But they did not react . After 20 days they picked my hard drive. But now they are not sending me new hard drive. It has been one month but now they are not sending me new hard drive. Plese help me. R.M.A. 81******

Regards Naresh
Found Here

One More Here
One More Here
OK Last One Here

There are many examples of people complaining about WD but I think the above are enough.

I don't doubt the company and I don't know about the other countries, but they gotta improve the service at-least in India. I totally understand that a company can't be the 2nd largest seller 'just like that'. I DON'T advice anyone to stop buying any WD product. Buy them if you like. But as far as I'm concerned, I may not going to buy any WD product in near future.


Find Me On...